Many people are experiencing various illnesses right now. Please remember these guidelines
if your child is ill:
1. If your child has a fever they should stay home until they have been fever free
for 24 hrs.
2. If your child is sneezing, coughing, having a large amount of nasal drainage, or very
fatigued to the point of being unable to concentrate in school, they should stay home until
symptoms are resolving.
3. If your child is diagnosed with a contagious illness, they should be on antibiotics for 24hrs
before returning to school unless otherwise directed by their doctor.
4. If you child has a rash, they should not return to school until a doctor has examined it to
determine if contagious.
5. If your child has vomiting or diarrhea, they should stay home until symptom free
for 24 hours. Be sure to keep well hydrated during this time.
6. If your child is showing signs of pink eye (eye redness, swelling, pus), they should not
return to school until a doctor has examined. If treatment is provided, they should be on the
antibiotic for 24 hrs before returning to school.
*Remember, getting 7- 9 hours of sleep and good nutrition are key to helping stay
healthy...and don’t forget to keep washing those hands!!
May 2019 be a Healthy Happy Year for your whole family.
Shirley Somodi, R.N., B.S.N.
Odell Grade School Nurse